Friday, May 25, 2012

Cadwallon




Remember Rackham? That French company with the crazy, stylized beautiful anime/fantasy sculpts. Well they created a universe that has spawned RPG’s. Confrontation, miniatures and a boardgame Cadwallon: City of Thieves

Why do I ask? I found a copy of the game for $30 so I bought it.

The game occurs in Cadwallon, an unaligned free city in the midst of a world tearing itself apart.

Each player controls a rival gang of thieves, vying for control of a district of Cadwallon. Actions involve stealth, robbery, thuggery and combat. Eight different scenarios are included in the base game. There are a number of free online scenarios and add-ons.

Set up begins with the players choosing a scenario. The Thieves guild also assigns minor missions which involve targeting various items. Two militiamen are placed on the board. Treasure tokens are randomly seeded.

Each player chooses a gang of 4 characters. The gang members have a stats card dictating their Combat, Movement, Mind values and a unique special ability. Weirdly, each has the same statistics but at least the special abilities are different.

The game is easy to learn. Time is limited, though so many of the actions are smash and grab instead of complex schemes.

The figures are very interesting and look fun to paint. The style is unique, though, so I don’t expect to be mixing them into my collection.

Here are some photos I found on Boardgame Geek. I'll be painting mine in a similar fashion.



My first experimental game was good. We’ll see how it turns out in the long run. But, for $30 you can’t beat it. I suspect I’ll get at least six hours of play from it. Besides, the theme was one I always wanted to try back when I had a thief in D&D...

No comments:

Post a Comment